For the past few years, the emergence of Third Wave Coffee as well as the consumers’s open-mindedness when it comes to understanding coffee have helped coffee gain its presence more in the food and beverage scene.
One of the coffee brewing methods that is becoming popular in the Philippines is cold brew. It’s basically the process of steeping coffee grounds in room temperature or cold water for an extended period of time. And cold brew coffee is perfect to have in this tropical climate especially when you pour it over ice.
Shophouse Coffee Co.’s Ton de Luna
For this week’s Manila Eat Up Insider, we have Ton de Luna, Co-founder of Shophouse Coffee Co. The brand uses local coffee beans as well as creates their own blend to get that balance, body, and depth. We’re big coffee fans and we’re so glad to tell you that Shophouse Cold Brew Coffee is one of the really good local cold brews we’ve tasted.
Apart from enjoying their coffee, we also enjoyed asking Ton our 15-item Q&A which allowed us to get to know him better. Read on.
1. Name your Top 3 vacation destinations in the world. A: Tokyo, Rome, and perhaps Amsterdam.
2. If we’re going to give you a plane ticket right now and sponsor an all-expense paid trip, where will you go? A: If it was just me? I’d backpack Europe. Although I’d rather spend it with the family.
3. What’s that one dish that you can eat for the rest of your life? A: I can live on cheeseburgers for eternity.
4. What is the one food you will never eat even if given a million pesos? A: Hmm, that’s a tough one. Probably those raw goat testicles I saw on TV.
5. What’s your Happy Meal? A: My go-to happy food is meat. So give me a burger, a steak, or pork chops, and pair it with a soda or beer and we’ll be friends for life. I’m easy to please.
6. What’s that one dish you’ve always wanted to try but have been too scared to? A: I don’t think I’m scared to try any reasonably edible dish. Like they say: try everything once!
7. If you could have dinner with one famous person who’s still alive right now, who will it be? A: Bono.
8. If the earth will be taken over by a different entity, would you prefer aliens or zombies? A: Zombies (they’re simpler to kill).
9. What is that one unhealthy food that you will not give up? A: French fries.
10. What’s your most unforgettable meal? A: Probably the first time I was introduced to Laksa in Malaysia. I’ve been searching for the perfect Laksa since then.
11. Do you like your coffee black or with cream and sugar? A: Black. I like to taste the unadulterated coffee. If the coffee doesn’t taste so good, maybe I’ll add milk or sugar, or just drink something else.
12. What’s your favorite meal of the day– breakfast, lunch, dinner? A: I would have to say breakfast! I can have breakfast for lunch and breakfast for dinner too.
13. Dark, white, or milk chocolate? A: I’m more likely to go for milk chocolate more often. White comes second.
14. What are the 3 adjectives that describe how you want your coffee? A: Aromatic, Gratifying, Strong.
15. If you can have 1 superpower, what would it be? A: Invisibility!